Sunday, August 18, 2013

Island TV


Monica recently had a birthday and for her birthday we spent the weekend at an island resort called Lissenung.  Lissenung is a small island with only the resort on it and it is lovely!  We spent time hanging out on the beach, snorkeling, and we did a night dive.  The thought of night diving was terrifying, but it's really not that bad.  It wash't nearly as dark as I thought it would be.  And though I checked over my should every minute or so not once did I see a shark sneaking up on me even when I was certain I'd turn around just as its mouth enveloped me.  We spent one afternoon snorkeling around the island.  Other than being attacked by sea lice (yes, there is such a thing as sea lice) it was spectacular!  As good as some of the diving I've done.  I wish I had an underwater camera, but unfortunately I do not so I had to steal some pictures from the Google to share some of the cool things we saw.  It was a relaxing weekend getaway from Kavieng.


The bungalow we stayed in.


My room





I walked into my room one evening to find a
crab on the window.  Why, hello there Mr. Carb.







The path from the bungalow to the beach.


The lovely beach.  Soo pretty!

I have a thing for hermit crabs.

This poor little guy doesn't have a shell.  When they out grown them
they ditch theirs and find new home.

Or if someone else has a shell they like then a battle royal ensues
and they try to pull each other out of the shell. 


















The front guy was trying desperately to 
hang onto his shell while the crab on top
of him was attempting to pull him out.  The
white shelled crab was just hanging out waiting
to snag an empty shell.  I know this all because 
there was a hermit crab commentator on the 
side... or maybe I just made it all up...


The path from the bungalow to the dining room.



The dining room.



A dining room with a sand floor... brilliant!



Bongo made an appearance on island TV... lucky guy!



The dining table.


Yummy fish cakes, salad, and macaroni.

The dark spot is the coral reef where we snorkeled and did a night dive.








While snorkeling I saw over 130 of these guys.  I know this
because I counted 132 to be exact.  Yes, I am a nerd.  Clams are
my favorite.  They're so pretty!  And they come in lots of
different colors - blue, teal, purple, taupe. 





This is a nudibranch and and they are my other favorite.
I saw 7 of these while snorkeling though none this pretty.
The one I saw were all black or black and green but I
couldn't find a picture on the internet. 


This would be a flatworm and they are AWESOME!  We saw this
beauty while night diving.  It's flows through the water like a piece
of ribbon.  One of the coolest things I've seen while diving.

Attack of the sea lice.  This bite on my pinky toe was the only
visible bite I had. Poor Bruce was covered in these bites.




Some passers-by requested a photo. 

Bongo working on his tan.
Red and yellow... so lovely!


The critters we happy we came home not because they spent a
weekend without us, but because it meant they got food.  Davos,
Kika, and Kiss Kiss (aka Nick Danger Private Eye) were all content
eating side by side.
That is until Kika decided she wanted Kiss Kiss's food.








Kika and Kiss Kiss had a heart to heart.


Then they were happy to share dinner.

Davos tried to have the same heart to heart with Kika, but she wanted
no part of it.  This displeased Davos and inspired a fit of high pitched
barking for several minutes.  This baby bird rules the roost.



No comments:

Post a Comment