Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Six Months Mark


It’s hard to believe that 6 months ago I boarded a plane in LA and got off in Kavieng, Papua New Guinea.  Well, not exactly.  There were a few pit stops, a missed plane, a panic attack, some tears, and a much needed good nights rest in between the two cities.  What an adventure this has been.  I’ve experienced far more than I thought while still not doing what it is I intended to do in coming here.

The sanitation project I came to work on is still not up and running.  Just when things look like all is well another obstacle pops up.  This has been good in some ways and not so good in others.  With no project to work on I have nothing tying me down to anything and have had the opportunity to travel the province and spend a bit of time in Australia.  Also, without a project to work on I’ve been able to do a little volunteering here and there with different people in different places.  The downside to no work is no money.  I gave up independence, an apartment, jobs (I had a couple), and so, so much more to come and work on this project which has yet to start.  Some days I find this to be extremely defeating.  Other days I’m reminded of what an incredible phase of life I’m currently in.  I gave up everything to chase a dream and one I’ve had for as long as I can remember.  For years I’ve talked about giving it all up to travel and see the world and that’s exactly what I’ve done.  It was not done alone, though.  I’ve had a tremendous amount of help from my own personal cheering section along the way.  I’m out in the world seeing, doing, experiencing, and learning and what a glorious and humbling thing that is.

To the adventures I’ve had and the ones yet to come…

“Home is where the heart is.  If your heart is happy traveling then make your heart your home.” - The Wise Pickle

No comments:

Post a Comment