Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Namatanai - Part 2 Doctor Tawny


I. DELIVERED. A. BABY!  Ok, so I didn’t do it single handedly… well, I didn’t really deliver the baby, but I did help catch the baby after it was born which was AMAZING!  I walked into the delivery room and the nurse asked how many babies I’ve delivered to which I replied “Ummmm none.”  The nurse then nonchalantly asked “Ok, will you be delivering this one?”  Yeah, no I’m going to sit this one out and see how the whole birthing thing works, but no worries I’m a quick learner, I got the next one.  So the first birth I laid low and scoped things out.  I was surprised by a number of things which I will not go into detail here, but I will say one thing… There is a designated “Splash Zone” in a delivery room and said “Splash Zone” was not clearly marked and I happened to be standing in it… twice.  Also, women who give birth are legit!  I have a whole new respect for moms.  Especially here.  Imagine being in a hospital without power or running water and it’s 90 degrees outside and 90% humidity AND no drugs… that’s what women do on the daily here.  These ladies don’t mess around.  They don’t really have another choice, but that certainly doesn’t go against them on the 1-to-legit scale.

So, the first birth I assisted in I rubbed the woman’s back and fanned her with a piece of cloth.  About 30 minutes in my arms started to get really tired and I took a short break.  Momma was not having it.  She looked at me and started fanning herself urging me to continue.  Then I thought about what this mother was going through and I had no right to complain about my burning biceps so I continued to fan her.  About 3 minutes after the birth finished momma was up and walking out of the delivery room.  Really, these ladies are HARD. CORE.  After baby was born I got to clean him off and hold him until mom was all cleaned up and ready for him.  I asked momma for a picture with the baby afterward and she agreed.  Below is me and the lovely baby boy who was not too happy about the “cold”, bright room he was forced to enter.

Belinda calls all the newborns Ewoks because that's what they all look like.

Since then I’ve helped with 7 other births.  Doctor Melanie gave me free range to watch and help with whatever I can which is super rad considering I could never do any of this in The States.  Things here are much different though.  I have CPR and First Aid training and a crash course on infant resuscitation Melanie gave which is as much, if not more than the majority of the hospital staff.  They obviously have more experience than I do, but very little training.  And considering the hospital has no power there is very little that can be done beyond basic measures to keep someone alive.  What an amazing experience it has been to help welcome these babies into the world.  Shout out to Doctor Melanie and “Doctor” Belinda for making it possible.

And when there aren't any babies to catch I am not above going into the paed's ward and finding one who looks like they need a cuddle... and by that I do mean whichever baby looks at me without screaming because I'm a scary white lady is the lucky one to get some snuggle.


Tell me this kid does not look desperate for a white lady cuddle and relieved to have
been pried from its mother's arms to get one. 



4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful experience a life of a new born baby coming out of a struggling mother. Feeling that no one could explained. It is a blessing to be a part of it. Your mother should be very proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the experience of a life time. There are no words to explain the feeling of holding a strangers hand throughout their labor or being the one to give a momma her newborn baby. It's amazing and I am so very fortunate to have been able to be apart of something so wonderful.

      Delete
  2. Tawny, you are amazing!!!! What wonderful experiences you are having :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not nearly as amazing as these mommas! I admire their strength. And these have been amazing, and humbling experience.

      Delete